Unity 3D iPhone was updated recently to 1.0.2 and it has been greatly improved in performance and a much more solid 1.0 toolkit. According to Unity 3D information by up to 50% which means much more room for assets to munch memory for us yay!
I updated to iPhone SDK 3 beta 4 and iPhone OS 3 beta 4 and the latest Unity iPhone and things were much better in perception of speed at least in early testing. Not sure if it was more from one or the other but the games I am testing/building so far are quicker and the OS feels faster overall.
Get the latest Unity 3d iPhone dev kit (only for Mac OSX obviously since it uses XCode to compile per Apple licensing requirements)
New Features and Improvements
- Reduced memory footprint for uncompressed audio by 50%
- “Memory usage for textures reduced by 50%. Texture memory is now freed once it has been submitted to OpenGLES on the device. The “Enable Get/SetPixels” flag in the Texture Import Settings lets you disable this feature on a per texture basis in order to access the texture data from a script using GetPixel etc.
- Improved iPhone script call optimization
- Removed unused parts of Mono runtime
- Reduced memory overhead while reading data from disk and slightly improved load times.
- Support for several predefined splash-screens (portrait/landscape) for Indie version. Just rename one of the splash-screens in the output directory to Default.png
- Exported audio session activation/deactivation functions to AppController.mm
- Added Scripting Reference code examples for iPhone specific APIs
- Fixed audio to play correctly after phone call / text message / alarm interruption occurs
- Fixed compressed audio occasionally refusing to play
- Fixed AudioSource.PlayOneShot to work correctly with compressed audio
- Fixed audio to respect Mute switch and background iPod music
- Fixed Pause function and time property for compressed audio clips
- Fixed OpenAL memory leak
- Fixed PhysX memory leaks
- Fixed Audio and Animation assets leaking while loading new scene
- Fixed a crash related to playing compressed audio in a sequence
- Fixed memory leak while updating Mesh geometry data
- Fixed several small memory leaks in rendering module
- Fixed asynchronous .NET sockets
- Fixed .NET threads
- Fixed cross thread boundary calling to the delegates
- Fixed UnityEngine.TextEditor stripping
- Fixed GUI slider stripping
- Fixed GUI scroll view stripping
- Fixed IndexOutOfRange exception checking
- Fixed Boo.Lang.dll stripping
- Fixed occasional crashes of AOT cross compiler